Dr. Fuhua (Oscar) Lin
Professor and Associate Dean of Faculty of Graduate Studies - School of Computing and Information Systems
Secondary Email: email@example.com
Toll-free Phone#: 1-866-539-8664
| Teaching Responsibilities
| Academic Experience
| Professional Memberships
| Awards and Achievements
| Research Profiles and Interests
| Academic Activities
| Research Supervision
| Current Projects
| Recently Completed Projects
| Link to Personal Webpage
Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED) 2021 Utrecht / Virtual, Netherlands, June 14-18, 2021
Intelligent Tutoring Systems 2021 , Athens, Greece, in June 2021.
IEEE Cyber Science and Technology Congress 2021, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ph.D Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Hong Kong, China, 1998
MSc. South China University of Technology (SCUT), Guangzhou, China, 1992
BSc. SCUT, Guangzhou, China, 1982
COMP 272 Data Structure and Algorithms
COMP 372 Design and Analysis of Algorithms
COMP 667 Multi-agent Systems
COMP 689 Advanced Distributed Systems
2007.10-present, Professor in Computing and Information Systems, Faculty of Science and Technology, Athabasca University
2016.01-2018.6, Associate Dean of Faculty of Graduate Studies, Athabasca University
2010.7-2015.12, Chair, School of Computing & Information Systems, Faculty of Science and Technology, Athabasca University
2000.10-2007.10, Associate Professor, School of Computing and Information Systems, Athabasca University, Canada
2000.1-2000.9, Assistant Research Officer, Network Computing Group, Institute for Information Technology, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, Canada
1998.7-1999.12, Postdoctoral Fellow, Intelligent Systems Group, University of Calgary, Canada
1994.9-1998.5, PhD Student/Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant, Virtual Reality Lab, Dept of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, HK, China
1982.7-1994.8, Teaching Assistant/ Lecturer/ Associate Professor/ Software Lab Director, Applied Mathematics Department, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China
AI in Education (Member)[top]
ACM (Senior Member)
IEEE (Senior Member)
Educational Data Mining (Member)
Awards and Achievements
IEEE Outstanding Leadership Award, 2019 and 2018
Best paper award, the 11th IEEE International Conference on Cyber, Physical, and Social Computing (CPSCom-2018)
Best paper award, IEEE Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) conference, 2014
Craig Cunningham Mentoring and Teaching Excellence (CCMATE) Award, Athabasca University, 2012
Leaders Opportunity Fund Award, Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), 2009
Excellent Youth Teacher Award, Guangdong Province, P. R. China, 1994
Research Profiles and Interests
My current research interests focus on AI technologies in Constructing Online Adaptive Learning Environments which can provide rich, personalized, and instant feedback to online learners. Also, I have been working on machine learning algorithms for sequential decision making.[top]
- Hongxin Yan, Fuhua Lin, Kinshuk, Including Learning Analytics in the Loop of Self-paced Online Course Learning Design, International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 12, 2020
- M. Ali Akber Dewan, Mahbub Murshed, Fuhua Lin, Engagement Detection in Online Learning: A Review, Journal of Smart Learning Environments, Springer (Open Access), January, 2019
- M, Procter, F. Lin, B. Heller, Intelligent Intervention by Conversational Agent Through Chatlog Analysis, Journal of Smart Learning Environments, Springer (Open Access), Nov. 2018
- Maiga Chang, Denis Lachance, Fuhua Lin, Farook Al-Shamali, Nian-Shing Chen, (2015), Enhancing Orbital Physics Learning Performance through a Hands-on Kinect Game, Education and Science. Vol 40 (2015) No 180 1-12
- Bo Wu, Xiaokang Zhou, Qun Jin, Fuhua Lin, and Henry Leung, Analyzing of Social Roles Based on a Hierarchical Model and Data Mining for Collective Decision-Making Support, IEEE Systems Journal, PP, 99, 1-10, January, 2015.
- Leung, S., S. Virwaney, F. Lin, AJ Armstrong, Adien Dubbelboer, TSI-enhanced Pedagogical Agents to Engage Learners in Virtual Worlds", International Journal of Distance Education Technologies, 11(1), 2013. 1-13. PDF
- Nincic, V., Chang, M., & Lin F., dMLRid ñ An XML-Based Proof-of-Concept Mobile DRM Framework for Sharing Learning Contents among Mobile Networks, International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, March 2013, 180-184.
- Y. Liu, C. Yang, Y. Yang, F. Lin, & X. Du, (2012), Case Learning for CBR-Based Collision Avoidance Systems, International Journal of Applied Intelligence (ISSN: 0924-669X). March, 36(2), 308-319
- Shabani, S., F. Lin, and S. Graf, (2012), A Framework for User Modeling in QuizMASter. Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, ISSN (online) 1971 - 8829 | ISSN (paper) Vol. 8, No. 3., pp.1826 - 6223.
- Deline, G., F. Lin, D. Wen, D. Gašević, & Kinshuk, (2009) A Case Study of Ontology-Driven Development of Intelligent Educational Systems, Special Issue on Intelligent and Adaptive Web-based Educational Systems. Int. J. of Web-Based Learning and Teaching Technologies, 4(1), 66-81, January-March 2009
- Ty Mey Eap, Dragan Gašević, Kinshuk, Fuhua Lin, (2008). Personalized Mobile Learning Content Delivery: a Learner Centric Approach, Int. J. Mobile Learning and Organisation
- Lin, F., Kinshuk, R. McGreal, S. Leung, D. Wen, F. Zhang, Q. Li, X. Liang, (2008), e-Advisor: A Web-based Intelligent System for Academic Advising, International Transactions on Systems Science and Applications, (ITSSA), 4(1), March 2008. pp.89-98 (ISSN: 1751-1461)
- K. Stauffer, F. Lin, and M. Koole (2008), A Methodology for Developing Learning Objects for Web Course Delivery, Journal of Distance Education Technologies, 6(3), 58-68, 2008. (ISSN 1539-3100)
- Lin, Holt, Leung & Li (2006). A multiagent and service-oriented architecture for developing adaptive elearning systems. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning, 16(1/2), 77-91 (ISSN: 0957-4344)
- Lin, F., & Lin, H., & Holt, P. (2003). A Method for Implementing Distributed Learning Environments, Proceedings of the Holt, P., Lin, F., Wang, H., & Pu, Q. (2003). A Learner-Centered Distributed Learning Environment. WSEAS Transactions on Communications (2-3), 271-276 (ISSN: 1109-2742).
- Shih, T. K., Antoni, G. D., Arndt, T., Asirvatham, A., Chang, C.-T., Chee, Y. S., Dow, C.-R., Jin, Q., Jung, I., Leong, H. V., Li, S.-T., Lin, F., Liu, J., Sala, N. & Wang, & Y.-H. (2003). A Survey of Distance Education: Challenges and Technologies. Journal of Distance Education Technologies, 1(1), 1-21, Jan-Mar 2003, 1-21 (ISSN: 1539-3100) (Acceptance rate: 50%)
- Lin, F., Ye, L., Duffy, V. G., & Su, C-J. (2002). Developing Virtual Environment for Industrial Training. Information Sciences, Special issue: Interactive virtual environments and distance education, 140 (1-2), 153-170 (ISSN: 0020-0255) (Impact factor of this journal 2005: 0.723, Journal Citation Reports® 2005, published by Thomson Scientific)
- Shih, T. K., Chiu, C-F, Hsu, H-H, & Lin, F. (2002). An integrated framework for recommendation system in e-commerce. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 102(8 & 9), 417-431. (ISSN: 0263-5577)
- Lin, F. & Norrie, D. H. (2001). Schema-based conversation modeling for agent-oriented manufacturing systems. Computers in Industry, 46, 259-274 (ISSN: 0166-3615)
- Holt, P., Lin, F., Stauffer, K., Jelica, G., & Shih, T. K. (2001). An Infrastructure for Developing Agents for Distance Education on the Internet. Journal of Computers, Special Issue on Distance Learning, 13(2), 77-92.
- Fuhua Lin, Guangzhong Chen, Chaoxing Hong, and Guoqiang Wang, Design Scheme of Knowledge-Based Computer-Aided Exam-Paper Formation Systems, Journal of Software, Vol. 6 Supplement, 1995, 194-201.
- Fuhua Lin, Guangzhong Chen, Chaoxing Hong, Xia Wu, & Lifang Li, Knowledge Acquisition and Representation in Computer-Aided Exam-paper Formation System, Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science), Vol. 23, No. 9, 1995, 127-132.
- Fuhua Lin, Guangzhong Chen, Chaoxing Hong, Shaohua Tang, & Yongping Liu, Algorithms Solving Computer-Aided Exam-paper Formation Problem, Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science), Vol. 23, No. 9, 1995, 58-65.
- M. Ali Akber Dewan, Walter Moreno Pachon, Fuhua Lin, A Review on Visualization of Educational Data in Online Learning, International Conference on Web-based Learning (Accepted)
- Fuhua Lin, Adaptive Quiz Generation Using Thompson Sampling, Third Workshop eliciting Adaptive Sequences for Learning (WASL 2020), co-located with AIED 2020.
- Arta Farahmand, M. Ali Akber Dewan and Fuhua Lin, Student-Facing Educational Dashboard Design for Online Learners, International Workshop on Adaptive Cyber Learning 2020 (ACL 2020).
- Kalpesh Lad, Ali Dewan, Fuhua Lin, Trust Management for Multi-Agent Systems Using Smart Contracts, IEEE Pervasive Intelligence 2020.
- Farook Al-Shamali, Hongxin Yan, Sabine Graf and Fuhua Lin, Educational Data Mining and Personalized Support in Online Introductory Physics Courses, International Conference on Educational Data Mining 2020.
- S. Dash, M. A. Akber Dewan, M. Murshed, F. Lin, M. Abdullah-Al-Wadud and A. Das, "A Two-Stage Algorithm for Engagement Detection in Online Learning," 2019 International Conference on Sustainable Technologies for Industry 4.0 (STI), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2019, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/STI47673.2019.9068054.
- Mahbub Murshed, M. Ali Akber Dewan, Fuhua Lin, Dunwei Wen, “Engagement detection in e-learning environments using convolutional neural networks,” IEEE Cyber Science and Technology Congress, Fukuoka, Japan, August 2019.
- Fuhua Lin, Ali Dewan, Volodymyr Voytenko, “Open interactive algorithm visualization” IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), Edmonton, Canada, May 5-8, 2019.
- Ming Wu, Ali Dewan, Fuhua Lin, Mahbub Murshed, “Visualization of course discussion forums: a short review from online learning†perspective” IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), Edmonton, Canada, May 5-8, 2019
- Lanlan Huang, Fuhua Lin, and Eric Wang, Online Vocabulary QuizMASter Game for College English Test Band 4, (WiP) IEEE Internet of People (IoP) 2018.
- Katarzyna Romanowska, Gurpreet Singh, Ali Dewan, Fuhua Lin, Towards Developing an Effective Algorithm Visulization Tool for Online Learning, (WiP) IEEE Internet of People (IoP) 2018 (Accepted)
- M Ali Akber Dewan, Fuhua Lin, Dunwei Wen, Mahbub Murshed and Zia Uddin, A Deep Learning Approach to Detecting Engagement of Online Learners, IEEE Internet of People (IoP) 2018
- Marc Prince & Fuhua Lin, Hunting Algorithm Visualization and Performance Evaluation through BDI Agent Simulation, IEEE CyberSci&Tech 2018. Athens, Greece, Aug. 12-15, 2018.
- Lin, F., Ali Akber Dewan, M., & Nguyen, M. (2018). Optimizing Rescheduling Intervals Through Using Multi-Armed Bandit Algorithms. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (IThings) and IEEE Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom) and IEEE Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom) and IEEE Smart Data (SmartData), 746–753. https://doi.org/10.1109/Cybermatics_2018.2018.00148
- Mike Procter, Bob Heller, Fuhua Lin, Classifying Conversational Behaviors of the students through Dialog Analysis, International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems, 2018, Montreal, Canada. LNCS, volume 10858, pp.373-379.
- M. Procter, B. Heller, F. Lin, Assessing the impact of intelligent interventions by conversational agents: Implications for pedagogical agent design, E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, Oct 17, 2017 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada ISBN 978-1-939797-31-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
- A. Vassiliev, F. Lin, A. Dewan, Combinatorial Auction Based Mechanism Design for Course Offering Determination, in Book entitled Digital Human Modeling. Applications in Health, Safety, Ergonomics, and Risk Management: Ergonomics and Design: 8th International Conference, DHM 2017, Held as Part of HCI International 2017, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 9-14, 2017, Proceedings, Part I (pp.376-392)
- M. Ali Akber Dewan, Fuhua Lin, Kinshuk, Dynamic Pricing Mechanism for Multi-Agent Based System of Well Scheduling, 5th International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), 1104 - 1108, 2016
- Micheal Procter, Fuhua Lin, and Robert Heller, Improving Conversation Engagement Through Data-Driven Agent Behavior Modification, R. Khoury and C. Drummond (Eds.): Canadian AI 2016, LNAI 9673, pp.270-275, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/978-319-34111-8_16
- M. Ali Akber Dewan, Dan Qiao, Fuhua Lin, Dunwei Wen, and Kinshuk, An Approach to Improving Single Sample Face Recognition Using High Confident Tracking Trajectories, R. Khoury and C. Drummond (Eds.): Canadian AI 2016, LNAI 9673, pp.115-121, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/978-319-34111-8_33
- M. Ali Akber Dewan, Fuhua Lin, Dunwei Wen, kinshuk, "Predicting dropout-prone students in e-learning education system,"IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, pp. 1935-1740, Beijing, China, August 2015.
- Graham Lange, Fuhua Lin, Modeling Well Scheduling as a Virtual Enterprise with Intelligent Agents, IEEE CSE 2014, Chengdu, China ( Best Paper Award of IEEE CSE 2014)
- Steeve Laberge, Tony Lenihan, Sima Shabani, and Fuhua Lin, Multiagent Coordination for Planning and Enacting an Assessment Game, Workshop on MultiAgent System Based Learning Environments MASLE of Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS) 2014, Honolulu - Hawaii, USA
- Bo Wu, Qun Jin ; Xiaokang Zhou ; Wei Wang, Fuhua Lin, Leung H, (2013), Dynamically Identifying Roles in Social Media by Mapping Real World, Awareness Science and Technology and Ubi-Media Computing (iCAST-UMEDIA), 2013 International Joint Conference on, 2-4 Nov. 2013, 573 - 579, Aizuwakamatsu DOI: 10.1109/ICAwST.2013.6765505
- Fuhua Lin, Wu Chen, Designing a MAS for Course Offering Determination, 16th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Multi-agent Systems (PRIMA 2013), 1-6 December 2013, Dunedin, New Zealand. (accepted, full paper, acceptance rate 30%).
- Lin, F., A. J. Armstrong, & A. Newcomb, A MAS Approach to Course Offering Determination, Proceeding of WI-IAT '12 Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conferences on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology - Volume 03, 331-336
- Blair, Jeanne & F. Lin (2011). An Approach for Integrating 3D Virtual Worlds with Multiagent Systems, ISeRim workshop - IANA 2011 (March, 2011; Singapore) Armstrong, AJ & F. Lin, (2010) Modelling and Personalizing Curriculum with Colored Petri Nets, ICCE 2010 (WIPP).
- Nincic, V., M. Chang, & F. Lin (2010). dMLRid – An XML-based Proof-of-Concept Mobile DRM Framework for Sharing Learning Content among Mobile Network. 2010 International Conference on Information Security and Artificial Intelligence (ISAI 2010). Chengdu, China. Dec 17-19, 2010.
- Y Liu, C Yang, Y Yang, F Lin, and X Du , (2009) Case Learning in CBR-Based Agent Systems for Ship Collision Avoidance, 12th International Conference on Principles of Practice in Multi-Agent Systems, Japan, Dec. 2009. (accepted)
- F Lin, Kinshuk, & M Dutchuk, (2009). Multiagent architecture for incorporating adaptivity feature into 3D learning environments, The 6th International Workshop on Mobile and Ubiquitous Learning Environments (MULE 2009), Sept 8-12, 2009, Athabasca University, Canada, pp 33-35,
- Mark Dutchuk, Khalid Aziz Muhammadi, Fuhua Lin (2009), QuizMASter - A Multi-Agent Game-Style Learning Activity, EduTainment 2009, Aug 2009, Banff, Canada, Learning by Doing, (eds.), M Chang, R. Kuo, Kinshuk, G-D Chen, M. Hirose, LNCS 5670, 263-272.
- Meller, T., E. Wang, F. Lin, & C. Yang, (2009), New Classification Algorithms for Developing Online Program Recommendation Systems, International Conference on Mobile, Hybrid, and On-line Learning (eL&mL 2009), Feb. 1-7, 2009 - Cancun, Mexico, 67-72.
- Chang, M., Q. Tan, T-C Liu, F. Lin, Multi-agent Architecture based Location-aware Service Project for Ubiquitous Learning, workshop of workshop on Ubiquitous Learning Models for K-12, Higher Education, and Adult Education, ICCE 2008, October 27-31, 2008, Taipei, Taiwan.
- S. Leung, F. Lin, D. Wen, Towards a Data-driven Ontology Engineering Framework, C1: AIED/ITS and Adaptive Learning, ICCE 2008, October 27-31, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Wen, D.; Lin, F., (2008), Ways and Means of Employing AI Technology in E-Learning Systems, Advanced Learning Technologies, 2008. ICALT apos;08. Eighth IEEE International Conference on Volume, Issue, 1-5 July 2008 Page(s): 1005 - 1006
- Graf, S., K. MacCallum, T-C Liu, M. Chang, D. Wen, Q. Tan, J. Dron, F. Lin, R. McGreal, & Kinshuk (2008), An Infrastructure for Developing Pervasive Learning, PerEL 2007, Hong Kong, China.
- Tzu-Chien Liu, Kinshuk, Ssu-Chin Wang, Yi-Chun Lin, Fuhua Lin, & Maiga Chang, (2007). The Effects of Students’ Cognitive Styles upon applying computer multimedia to change statistical misconceptions, e-Learn 2007, Canada.
- Scutelnicu, A., F. Lin, Kinshuk, T-C Liu, S. Graf, & R. McGreal (2007), Integrating JADE Agents into Moodle, The first workshop on Intelligent and Adaptive Web-based Educational Systems, ICCE 2007, Hiroshima, Japan. Nov.5-9, 2007
- Deline, G., F. Lin, D. Wen, D. Gašević, Kinshuk, Ontology-Driven Development of Intelligent Educational Systems, 2007 IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing, August 22-24, 2007. (Accepted)
- Lin, F., Leung, S., Wen, D., Zhang, F., Kinshuk, & McGrael, R. (2007). E-Advisor: An Multi-agent System for Academic Advising, Workshop on Agent-Based Systems for Human Learning and Entertainment (ABSHLE) at Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS) 2007, May 15, 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Lin, F. & Wen, D. (2007). Ontologies in an Intelligent System for Academic Advising, The Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE), May 26-30, 2007 Guangzhou, China. (Acceptance Rate: 25%)
- Wen, D., Fan, Xo, & Lin, F. (2006). FORPM: Boosting Users' Effect on Ontology Matching, International Workshop on Ontology Matching (poster paper). Proceedings of the 5th International Semantic Web Conference ISWC-2006, Athens, Georgia, USA, 231-235.
- Yang, C., Lin, H., & Lin, F. (2006). Designing Multiagent-based Education Systems for Navigation Training. Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (ICCI2006). Beijing, China. July 17-19, 2006. http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/iit-publications-iti/docs/NRC-48555.pdf
- Lin, F., Zhang, F., & Wen, D. (2006). Developing MAS for Academic Advising, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Agent-based Systems for Human Learning, AAMAS 2006, Future University-Hakodate, Japan, 49-54
- Lin, F., Leung, S., Wen, D., & Zhang, F. (2006). An Intelligent System for Academic Advising, Proceedings of the 10th Annual Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE2006): Research and Practice on Information Technology in Education, Beijing, June 2006. (ISBN 7-900631-78-X), 101-115.
- Wen, D., Xiong, J., Ally, M., & Lin, F. (2006). An SMS based knowledge querying system for mobile learning. mLearn 2006 - the 5th World Conference on Mobile Learning. Banff, Canada.
- Lin, F., Li, Q., & Wen, D. (2005). Knowledge Modelling for developing program planning agents, Proceedings of International Conference of E-Business 2005, Hong Kong, Dec.6-9. 366-371.
- Wen, D., Dickson, K., & Lin, F. (2005). Knowledge Modelling for Readiness Self-assessment, Proceedings of International Conference of E-Business 2005, Hong Kong, Dec.6-9. 340-345
- Ally, M., Lin, F., McGreal, R., & Woo, B. (2005). An Intelligent Agent for Adapting and Delivering Electronic Course Materials to Mobile Learners, Proceedings of m-Learn 2005, H. van der Merwe & T. Brown (Eds.), Cape Town, South Africa, Oct. 25-28, 2005, 1-5
- Lin, F., Ally, M., Leung, S., Li, Q., & McGreal, R. (2005). Towards Agent-Enhanced Web-Based Education Systems, CD-ROM for the proceedings of the 9th Global Chinese Society for Computers in Education, 2005, June 6-9, Hawaii, USA
- Hogeboom, M., & Lin, F. (2005). Constructing Knowledge Bases for e-Learning Using Protégé 2000 and Web Services, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Taipei, Taiwan, March 28-30, 2005, 215-220, vol. 1 (ISBN ~ ISSN:1550-445X , 0-7695-2249-1)
- Cao, Y., Lin, F., McGreal, R. Schafer, S., Friesen, N., Tin, T., Anderson, T., Kariel, D., Powell, B., & Anderson, M. (2004). Facilitating E-learning with a MARC to IEEE LOM Metadata Crosswalk Application. In Orchard, B., Yang, C., & Ali, M. (Eds.). Innovations in Applied Artificial Intelligence: 17th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems, IEA/AIE 2004, Ottawa, Canada, May 17-20, 2004. (ISBN: 3-540-22007-0), 739-748.
- Lin, F., & Poon, L. (2004). Agents for Maintaining On-line Learning Course Materials, Innovations in Applied Artificial Intelligence: 17th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems, IEA/AIE 2004, Ottawa, Canada, May 17-20, 2004. (ISBN: 3-540-22007-0), 848-856. (Acceptance Rate 52%)
- Lin, F., Holt, P., Leung, S., Hogeboom, M., & Cao, Y. (2004). A Multi-Agent and Service-Oriented Architecture for Developing Integrated and Intelligent Web-based Education Systems, Proceedings for the Workshop on Applications of Semantic Web Technologies for Web-based ITS, Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS), 11-20.
- Holt, P., Lin, F., Wang, H., & Pu, Q. (2003). A Learner-Centered Distributed Learning Environment. WSEAS Transactions on Communication (2-3), 271-276 (ISSN: 1109-2742). (EI)International Conference of Information Resource Management Association. May 18-21, Philadelphia, Pennssylvania, USA, 484-487
- Lin, F., Holt, P., Leung, S., Maton, C., & Holmberg, C. (2002). An Agent-Oriented Approach to Modeling Distributed Learning Systems, Proceedings of the sixth IASTED International Conference on Software Engineering and Applications (SEA 2002), Nov. 4-6, 2002, in Cambridge, USA, (ISBN: 0-88986-323-7), 124-129.
- Yang, C., Lin, F., & Lin, H., (2002). Policy-based Privacy and Security Management for Collaborative E-Education Systems, Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE 2002), (Eds.) Gustavo A. Santana Torrellas, Vladimir Uskov, May 20-22, 2002, Cancun, Mexico, ACTA Press, (ISBN: 0-88986-332-6), 501-505,
- Holt, P., Pu, Q., Lin, F., & Wang, H., (2002). A Distributed Adaptive Learning Environment, Proceedings of Global Chinese Society for Computers in Education (GCCCE), Beijing China.
- Yang, C., Phan, S., Kuo, P., & Lin, F. (2001). Applying Collision Avoidance Expert System to Navigation Training Systems as an Intelligent Tutor, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Industry & Engineering Application of Artificial Intelligence & Expert System (IIEA/AIE), Budapest, Hungary. June 4-7, 2001. Lecture Notes In Computer Science; Vol. 2070, (ISBN: 3-540-42219-6), 941-947.
- Lin, F., (2001). Modeling Online Instruction Knowledge for Virtual Training Systems using Petri Nets, Proceedings of IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing, August 26-28, 2001, Victoria, B.C., Canada, Conference Proceedings, Volume I, (ISBN: 0-7803-7080-5), 212-215.
- Lin, F., & Holt, P. (2001). Towards Agent-based Online Learning, Proceedings of the Fourth IASTED International Conference on Computer and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE 2001), June 27-29, 2001 Banff, Canada, Calvert, T., & Keenan, T. (Eds.), ACTA Press, (ISBN: 0-88986-289-3), 124-129
- Lin, F., Holt, P., Korba, L., & Shih, T. K. (2001). A Framework for Developing Distance Learning systems, CD-ROM Proceedings of Conference on Advances in Infrastructure for Electronic Business, Science, and Education on the Internet. SSGRR 2001 L'Aquila, Italy, Aug 6-12, 2001, the abstract in The Book of Abstracts, (IBSN: 88-85280-61-7)
- V. Rajinikanth, H, Lin and F. Lin (eds.) Hybrid Image Processing Methods for Medical Image Examination, CRC Press, 2020 (to be published soon)
- Kumar, V., F. Lin (eds.) Systems and Technologies Avancements in Distance Learning, Information Science Publishing, 2013
- Graf, S., F. Lin, Kinshuk, & R. McGreal, (eds.) Intelligent and Adaptive Learning Systems: Technology Enhanced Support for Learners and Teachers. Information Science Publishing.2011
- Lin, F. (eds.). (2004). Designing Distributed Learning Environments with Intelligent Software Agents, Information Science Publishing. ISBN: 1-59140-500-9. (hardcover), 1-59140-501-7 (paperback)
- F. Lin & J. Feng, (1989). Data Structure: Practice and Improvement (Supplementary Textbook), South China University of Technology (301 pages).
- Fuhua Lin, M. Ali Akber Dewan, and Alex Newcomb, (2015) User Modeling for Course Planning and Scheduling, chapter 9, 2015 Proceedings of Science and Technology Innovations, 121-136, ISBN 978-1-987973-00-6,
- Jivko Hristov, Graham Lange, Fuhua Lin, M. Ali Akber Dewan, Xiaokun Zhang, and Saadat Khan, (2015) Multi-Agent Well Scheduling: A Prototype Implementation Using CNP and JADE, chapter 10, 2015 Proceedings of Science and Technology Innovations, 137-153, ISBN 978-1-987973-00-6
- Ning Xia, Fuhua Lin, Aishuang Li, Chapter 8. Modeling and visualization of fruit trees in horticulture, in a book "Computers and Education" edited by Sergei Abramovich (2012), ISBN: 978-1-62100-635-0, Nova Science Publishers.
- M. Maiga, Q. Tan, F. Lin, & T-C Liu, (2009), Multi-Agent Architecture and Location-Based Ubiquitous Learning Framework, in Book edited by Q. Li & T. K. Shih, Ubiquitous Multimedia Computing, CRC Press, 341-354.
- Lin, F. (2004). Knowledge Modeling for Designing Learning Objects. In R. McGreal (Ed.), Online Education using Learning Objects (pp.314-330). London: Routledge/Falmer.
- Lin, F., Esmahi, L., & Poon, L. (2004). Integrating Agent Technology and Web Services into Distributed Learning Environments. In F. Lin (Ed.), Designing Distributed Learning Environments with Intelligent Software Agents (pp. 184-217). Information Science Publishing.
- Esmahi, L., & Lin, F. (2004). A Multiagent Framework for an Adaptive E-earning System. In F. Lin (Ed.), Designing Distributed Learning Environments with Intelligent Software Agents (pp.218-241). Information Science Publishing.
- Lin, F. (2002), Virtual Training Scenario Analysis Using Petri Nets. In T. K. Shih & P. P. Wang (Ed.), Intelligent Virtual World: Technologies and Applications in Distributed Virtual Environments (pp. 213-223). World Scientific Publishing Co.
- Lin, F. (2001). Multimedia and Multi-stream Synchronization. In T. K. Shih (Ed.), Distributed Multimedia Databases: Techniques and Applications (pp. 245-260). Information Science Publishing.
- Lin, F., Norrie, D. H., Shen, W., & Kremer, R. (2000). Schema-based Approach to Specifying Conversation Policies. In F. Dignum and M. Greaves (Eds.), Issues on Agent Communications, LNAI Vol.1916 (pp. 193-204). Springer-Verlag.
- Su, C., Lin, F., Ye, L., Finney, C. M., & Duffy, V. G. (1997). Industrial training using virtual reality. In M.J. Smith, G. Salvendy, & R. J. Koubek (Eds.), Design of Computing Systems: Social and Ergonomic Considerations, Advances in Human Factors/Ergonomics 21B (pp.989-992). Elsevier.
- Lin, F. (2008). Book review: Semantic Web and Education (V. Devedzic). Educational Technology & Society, 11(3), 292-293.
- McGreal, R., Anderson, T., Hubick, C., Lin, F., Sosteric, M., Tin, T., & Yasynska, O. (2005). Case Study: eduSource and the Athabasca University Digital Library Project, E-Learning Network News, 1(1). http://www.astd.org/astd/Publications/Newsletters/elearn_news/jan05_mcgreal.htm
- Hogeboom, M., & Lin, F. (2004). Developing Domain Model Web Services For Agent-supported Distributed Learning Using PROTÉGÉ 2000, IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology (TCLT), Learning Technology newsletter, Kinshuk (Ed.), 6(2), 42-45. (ISSN: 1438-0625)
- Lin, F. (2001). A Critique of Stephen Downes' Article, “Learning Objects”: A Chinese Perspective. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. July, ISSN: 1492-3831, V2.1.
Co-GC, IEEE Cyber Science and Technology Congress 2020 and co-located conferences. [top]
Co-GC, IEEE Workshop on Adaptive and Cyber Learning 2020 (ACL 2020)
PC member, AIED 2020, Ifrane, Morocco
PC member, Intelligent Tutoring Systems 2020 (online), 2021, Greece
Wu Bo, Hongxin Yan
MSc IS Students:
Mick Procter, Alex Solter, John Mui, Arta Farahmand, Philip Kirkbride, Jivko Hristov, Graham Lange, Saadat Khan, (more to be listed)
Michael Dupuis, Dan Qiao, Jack Huang (more to be listed)
Solimul Chowdhury, Bill Huang (more to be listed)[top]
Simulating Multi-armed Bandit Algorithms for Adaptive Formative Assessment (sponsored by MITACS, AU, 2020)[top]
Interactive Auto-assessed Exercises (MITACS, GRI, 2017-present)
Recently Completed Projects
NSERC Discovery Grant (2003-2007) on Knowledge Modelling for Distributed Learning
NSERC Discovery Grant (2008-2012) on Algorithms for Adaptive Learning Systems
CFI on (2009-2013) Multiagent Immersive Learning Environments
NSERC Engage (2011, co-PI) on Intelligent Product Lifecycle Management
NSERC Engage (2016) Intelligent Resource Management and Well Scheduling with Encana Inc.
ARF (2007, co-PI) Learner profile transformation in multi-platform environment
ARF (2016, co-PI) Still-to-Video Face Recognition for Watch-List Screening
AU FST Research and Educational Showcase at Telus World of Science (May 3, 2014)[top]
Link to Personal Webpage