Advanced Standing and Transfer Credit
Students may be eligible for advanced standing through evaluation of coursework applicable to the MSc IS program completed at other post-secondary institutions. Advanced Standing is implemented primarily through exemptions from IS Foundation courses.
Exemptions from IS Foundation courses
Flexible entrance requirements recognize the range of academic credentials held by IT professionals applying to the program.
- Exemptions from IS Foundation courses are based on appropriate undergraduate or graduate academic credentials supported by relevant professional-level work experience.
- Advanced standing is limited by program residency requirements.
- An applicant may gain exemptions for a maximum of 9 credits through this process.
As part of the admissions process, the program admissions committee reviews each applicant's credentials to determine whether the student should be exempted from any or all of the following IS Foundation courses:
- COMP501 - Systems Development with Emerging Technology (recommended for both IS Technology and IS Management Stream)
- COMP503 - IT Hardware and Software (IS Technology Stream)
- COMP504 - Object Structure and Programming (IS Technology Stream)
- COMP505 - Operations Management in Information Systems (IS Management Stream)
- COMP506 - Organizational Behavior (IS Management Stream)
Credit for Career Track Requirements
Students may also be awarded credit for application to Career Track requirements on the basis of appropriate graduate level coursework completed at other post-secondary institutions.
- The structure of the Career Track component of the program imposes practical limits on the number of credits that may be awarded through this process.
- In no case will the number of credits awarded exceed three credits (one course).
Requests should be made AFTER the applicant is admitted to the program. The transfer credit evaluation fee applies to only one 3-credit course for which credit is awarded.
Last Updated April 05, 2011