Dr. Mahmoud Abaza
Associate Professor - School of Computing and Information Systems
Toll-free Phone#: 8665003019
| Teaching Responsibilities
| Academic Experience
| Consultant Experience
| Research Profiles and Interests
| Research Supervision
1988-1992 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee USA
Ph.D Computer Engineering
1982-1984 Yarmouk Univeristy Jordan
MSC Electrical Engineering-Computer
1975-1980 Tashkent Polytechnic Institute USSR
High Diploma (MSC)
COMP 315, COMP 318, COMP 374, and COMP 503
1999-Now Athabasca University Canada
1994-1999 University of United Arab Emirates UAE
1992-1994 Jordan University of Science and Technology Jordan
1988-1992 University of Wisconsin USA
Lecturer and Research Assistant
1984-1988 Yarmouk University and JUST Jordan
1983-1984 University of Illinois at Urbana-Chmpaign USA
Visiting Research Associate
· Medical Software: Developed an integral hardware/software system for a hospital attached to the Medical College of Wisconsin, Inc. The system tests human reaction to visible objects.
· Real-time Software: Wrote a real time software to control running motors and acquiring data for Outboard Marine Company-USA.
· Imaging : Wrote a driving software for a scanner for Robert W. Bird Company-USA.
· Assembly Language Programming and Microprocessors: Modified a graduate-level microprocessor installation for Yarmouk University .
· System Management: Managed a VAX-750/VMS computer, in the University of Illinois.
Research Profiles and Interests
Distributed Operating Systems, Algorithms, Serious Games, and Computer Networks
- Mahmoud Abaza and Jacques Hébert. QoS MEDIA PROXY:ADAPTIVE INTER-DOMAIN QoS FOR VoIP- MFC2010 conference .
- Mahmoud Abaza and Jacques Hébert , A NOVEL INTER-DOMAIN QoS FOR VoIP- Academy Publishers Journal.
- Mario Poier, Mahmoud Abaza The Influence of Network Convergence on VoIP : The 2010 Multi-Conference in Computer Science MULTICONF-10.
- Mahmoud Abaza and Daryl Allenby , VIRTUAL GREEN COMPUTING - Assessment of the potential for virtual computing environments, Computer Networks and Internet Research Journal, ICGST
- Mahmoud Abaza and Daryl Allenby, The effect of Machine Virtualization on the Environmental Impact of Desktop Environments, The 2009 World Congress on Electronics and Electrical Engineering, WCEEENG’09, April 09.
- Mahmoud Abaza, “Employing a ROM-based Frequency Meter for Precise Tracking of Line Frequency”, ICGST International Journal on Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, ACSE, 2008, pp 1687-4811, vol 08.
- Mahmoud Abaza and Ora Steyn, “Role Of Computer Serious Games in Education and Training”, SITE 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, March 3-7, 2008.
- Mahmoud Abaza and Ora Steyn, , “Serious Games” at the 2007 Western Canadian Conference on Computing Education (WCCCE) in Kamloops, BC, May 3-5, 2007.
- Mahmoud Abaza and Mansour I., “An Accurate Method for Measurement of Line Frequency using Read-Only Memory”, POWER AND ENERGY SYSTEMS ~ PES 2007 ~January 3 – 5, 2007
Clearwater, Florida, USA
- Robert C. Mulholland and Mahmoud Abaza, The Search and Rescue Mission Management System – an information system model for Canadian Inter-governmental cooperation, International Journal on Computer Network and Internet Research (CNIR) Journal, Vol. (6), issue (1), 2006
- Mahmoud Abaza and Catherine Preston"Design And Evaluation The 2006 International Conference On Internet Computing (ICOMP 2006), Las Vegas, Nevada, June 26 - 29, 20006).
- Mahmoud Abaza and Thinlay Wangchuk, Wireless Application for Rural Access, Web Technologies, Applications, and Services,(WTAS 2005), July 4-6, 2005, Calgary, Alberta, Canada,
- Mahmoud Abaza and Warren Strange, Bringing JINI® to the Web, ICGST International Journal on Computer Networks and Internet Research, 2005, V1.
- Larbi Esmahi, Pete Holt, Hongxue Wang, Mahmoud Abaza: An essay in e-learning tools categorization, in Proceedings of the IASTED International conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in Education, pp. 506-509, Cancun, Mexico, May 20-22, 2002.
- Holt, P. Abaza, M. and others: Toward a Multimedia Distributed Learning Environment, Proceedings of the seventh International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems(DMS 01), 32-41. 200
- Distance Education: An Ultimate Subject for Teachers and Students, Shata and Abaza Proceedings of SITE 2001 (Orlando Florida), March 2001.
- Efficient Data and Workload Balancing for Multikey sorting on Hypercube Multicomputers, Fellah A,;
- Abaza, M; Mammir A. pp 355-358.: Innsbruk, Austria. IASTED international confenrece; Networks parallel and distributed processing and applications symposium. 2001 Feb
- " On Multikey Sorting," International Journal Advances in Engineering Software, Abdelaziz Fellah, Allaoua Maamir, and Mahmoud Abaza,Vol. 31, no. 7, 2000, pp. 493-498.
- On Page Blocks in Distributed Virtual Memory Systems, Felah and Abaza, Proceedings of IEEE Pacific Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing (PACRIM 1999), Aug 1999.
- Distributed Data Structures for Multikey Sorting, Felah, Abaza, and Mamir, International Journal of Parallel and Distributed Systems and Networks, Volume 2, Number 2, 1999.
- A Minimal Perfect Hashing Algorithm for Multikey, Abaza and Fellah Proceedings of 1999th International
- Conference on Applied Informatics, Congress Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria. Feb, 1999.
- FORTRAN99 , A book, Al-Basheer, Publishing Co., 1994.
- C++ With Scientific & Engineering Applications , A book, Al-Basheer Publishing, 1993.
- Distributed Virtual Memory in The CSMA/CD Environment, Abaza and Felah Proceedings of the 1997th IEEE conference PACRIM97, Victoria Canada.
- An Efficient Matrix-Based Multikey Sorting Algorithm in Distributed Systems, Abaza and Felah, Proceedings of the 9th ISTAED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing 1996, Chicago. Pp 87-90.
- Process Migration In Distributed Virtual Memory Multicomputer Systems, Malkawi, Abaza and Knox, Proceedings of the 26th Hawaii International Conference On System Science, 1993.
- Performance Evaluation Of Page Replacement And Page Out In Distributed Virtual Memory Systems, Malkawi, Abaza and Knox, Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Symposium On Parallel And Distributed Processing, 1992.
- Paging Behavior in Distributed Virtual Memory Systems, Malkawi, Abaza and Knox, Proceedings of the 21st International Conference On Parallel Processing, 1992.
- Empirical Results On the Dynamic Behavior Of Distributed Virtual Memory System, Proceedings of the 5th ISMM International Conference On Parallel and Distributed Computing systems, 1992.
- Dynamic Page Distribution In Distributed Virtual Memory Systems, Proceedings of the 4th ISMM International Conference On Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems, 1991.
Supervised a large number of Ms theses. Some of these are :
- Implementation of the contactless technology in banking ATMs
- The effect of machine virtualization on the environmental impact of desktop environments
- Mobile Collaborative Information System using Distributed Database Architecture.
- An investigation into, and implementation of, a low cost distributed parallel processing system to deliver scalable business benefits in high volume telephone call record costing for a small or medium sized enterprise
- Brining JINI to the Web.
- Wireless LAN application for Rural Access
- PC & Computer Components Marketing & Services.
- Evaluation and design of a new Direct Numerical Control
- Page Traffic Considerations in Distributed Virtual Memory Multicomputer Systems
- On serious games.